Thursday, February 11, 2010

Spring Update




Here are some pictures of my new greenhouse for raising field transplants. I was originally planning to heat the sand bed in the greenhouse with a hot water radiant system, but after researching the size of the system needed and the cost, I decided to just purchase some electric heat cables for bottom heat and a couple of electric space heaters. I built a tent in the greenhouse from row cover to help prevent heat loss from the sand bed. This is where I will be starting all my transplants for the field this season. Next Monday the first Sweet Onions are going to be started, and towards the very end of February I will be starting the high tunnel tomatoes: a slicing variety and 4 different heirlooms. I am getting very excited - already anticipating those first ripe tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment